Re: Netscape Library Error (netscape without .deb)

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Juha Ylitalo wrote:

> > XKEYSYMDB='/usr/local/lib/netscape/XKeysymDB'; export XKEYSYMDB
> > XNLSPATH='/usr/local/lib/netscape/nls'; export XNLSPATH
>
> Do those XKeysymDB and XNLSPATH really provide something useful or have
> you used them only because they are provided ?

The following info has been in the Netscape README file since at least
version 1.12N. It used to say "SunOS 4.1, Linux, and BSDI:", but Linux was
taken out of the title during the 3.0 beta releases. The cut and paste
error certainly occured for me back with v1.1, and was fixed by installing
the NLS stuff as indicated in the README. I haven't quoted the details of
the NLS installation.

---snip---snip---

SunOS 4.1 and BSD/386:
          These distributions also includes a directory called "nls". This
          directory is a standard part of the MIT X11R5 distribution, but
          is not included with X11R4- or X11R6-based systems (such as
          OpenWindows 3.0 or earlier, and XFree86 3.1 or later.)

          On these systems, Netscape has been linked against X11R5 (because
          Motif 1.2.4 has some bad bugs in conjunction with X11R6.)
          Unfortunately, X11R5 has one rather serious bug, which is that if
          this "nls" directory does not exist, the program will dump core
          any time you try to copy, or paste to or from a text field!

---snip---snip---

...RickM...