Re: ALPHA: pe package - periodic execution

Hi Christian --
Your pe package sounds very interesting.

You asked:
>It would be nice if someone can give me some hints about how it can be
>included in the main distrib. Yes, I read all the FAQs/HOWTOs but they
>seem pretty old and I didn't find any information.

If you get any version of dpkg newer than 1.3.3, you'll find a lot of
helpful info.  Meantime, below is the same info in recipe format,
gleaned mostly from the dpkg documentation, etc.

Regards,
Susan Kleinmann

How to Become a Debian Package Developer

In the text below, DM means "Distribution Maintainer"

They are currently:
Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu>
Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>

0.  Subscribe to debian-devel.
    To do this execute
        mail debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org -s Subscribe
    That is, send mail to the above address with the subject set to 'Subscribe'.

1.  Set up your pgp key.

    Install the PGP package.
    Read /usr/doc/PGP.
    Generate a public-secret key pair by typing
	pgp -kg
    and answering the questions.  Be prepared to write some arbitrary text
    when asked.  PGP generates its true random numbers by measuring the
    intervals between your keystrokes.

2.  Shake hands with the project administration, as it were:
    Send emails to:
        The Project Leader.  Bruce Perens
        The Administrator of master.debian.org:  Simon Shapiro.
        The Mailing List Administrator:  Anders Chigstrom.
        The dpkg maintainer:  Ian Jackson.

        i.e., To:
        bruce@pixar.com, shimon@i-connect.net, ac@netg.se, \
        ijackson@gnu.ai.mit.edu

    with this content:
    -- what you've done,
    -- who you are,
    -- request for an account on master,
    -- request to be subscribed to debian-private (the developers-only
       mailing list).
    -- your PGP key, obtained by executing 'pgp -kxa'.

3.  Make the programs:  .deb, .diff, .tar.gz, .changes.
    Use these files for guidelines:
    hello*deb (use most recent version, currently 1.3.9).
    The dpkg man pages, of which there are many as of dpkg-1.3.3.
    The documentation in /usr/doc/dpkg, including the programmers and policy
    manuals.

4.  Upload the files:
    A.  Use user-name and password to upload to:
    ftp://master.debian.org/home/Debian/ftp/private/project/Incoming

     OR
    B.  Use anon-ftp to upload to:
    ftp://chiark.chu.cam.uc.uk/

        For instructions to upload to chiark, read this file at chiark:
        /pub/debian/private/project/README.how-to-upload

    chiark then sends the files it gets to master.