Re: Can't remove sendmail with dselect/dpkg

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Miro Torrielli wrote:

> John Houwen wrote:
> >
> > Miro,
> >
> > I appreciate your comments, but that is part of the problem ... smail
> > *won't* install unless sendmail is removed!  At the same time, dpkg
> > refuses to remove sendmail unless smail is installed ... like Catch-22 :)
> >
> > Sorry about the mis-understanding ...
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, Miro Torrielli wrote:
> >
> > > John Houwen wrote:
> > > >
> > < ascii deleted>
> > > >

> > > Sounds strange. Anyway, the simplest way would probably be to
> > > install smail, and then remove sendmail :-)
> > >

> Allright, I get it now. What you gotta do to remove sendmail is
> edit the "status" file in /var/lib/dpkg. This is the file that
> dpkg relies upon to perform its main functions. What you have to do
> is search the file for the sendmail section, and remove smail from
> the "depends upon" line (or possibly some other line).
>
> Good luck...:-)

Don't do this. First, it is dangerous to edit the dpkg database. Second,
it is not necessary. Check out 'dpkg --force-help' for the full list of
force options. What you need to do is either:

dpkg -r --force-depends sendmail
dpkg -i /path-to-package/smail*.deb

or

dpkg -i --force-conflicts /path-to-package/smail*.deb
dpkg -r sendmail

Either of the above examples should allow you to replace
dependant/conflicting packages with some other package.

Luck,

Dwarf