Can't remove sendmail with dselect/dpkg

In my original installation, I incorrectly selected sendmail (among
other things <g>) to be installed.  Upon further investigation, smail
would appear to be the preferred mail transport device.

However, dselect/dpkg refuses to remove it, or any part of it.
"smail not installed, cannot remove sendmail"  is part of the error
message.  Conversely, attempting to install smail generates the same
type errors..

Can anyone help with this?

*                     |          slyder@voicenet.com       *
*  J.P. Houwen        |    PGP Key available upon request  *
*                     |       john.houwen@compudata.com    *