Re: Can't remove sendmail with dselect/dpkg

John Houwen wrote:

> Miro,
>
> I appreciate your comments, but that is part of the problem ... smail
> *won't* install unless sendmail is removed!  At the same time, dpkg
> refuses to remove sendmail unless smail is installed ... like Catch-22 :)
>
> Sorry about the mis-understanding ...
>
> Thanks
>
> On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, Miro Torrielli wrote:
>
> > John Houwen wrote:
> > >
> < ascii deleted>
> > > Can anyone help with this?
> > >

> > Sounds strange. Anyway, the simplest way would probably be to
> > install smail, and then remove sendmail :-)

Allright, I get it now. What you gotta do to remove sendmail is
edit the "status" file in /var/lib/dpkg. This is the file that
dpkg relies upon to perform its main functions. What you have to do
is search the file for the sendmail section, and remove smail from
the "depends upon" line (or possibly some other line).

Good luck...:-)