Re: How do I get GATEWAY2000 PS/2 mouse to work ?

----- Begin Included Message -----

Todd Fries (todd@miango.com) responded:
> Oh give me a break.  If you are not experienced enough to compile your own
> kernel for your own custom hardware you should never be giving advice to
> other linux users until you are.  SHEESH.  It is not that hard.  Do a
> 'make config' once, cp .config to some safe place, then if you must remove
> your kernel source tree or upgrade or compile someone else's kernel, you can,
> and the copy the file back and say 'make oldconfig'.  IT IS NOT THAT HARD
> PEOPLE!!!!!  I personally have 14 different 'configurations' for different
> people in my 'safe place' away from the kernel tree.  So I can compile for
> 14 different people if they ask me to.

Todd, I'm sure that you're the neatest computer guy on your block, but
I think that you missed the original poster's point.  Users shouldn't
have to recompile their kernels to get their PS/2 mice to work.  Such a
requirement is enough to keep many potential Debian users from successfully
making the leap from MSStuff to Debian.

In my case, I used to select a module named psaux, and my PS/2 mouse
worked fine.  Recently I upgraded to Debian 1.1, circa July 1st.  As far
as I can tell, the psaux module is no longer an option.  Coincidentally,
my mouse no longer works (when I "startx", the system says "Fatal server
error: Cannot open mouse (No such device)").  My situation is caused by
one or more of the following:

  1.  I am doing something wrong.
  2.  There was a more serious problem with my OS upgrade.
  3.  Debian has a bug in its PS/2 mouse support.
  4.  Default support for PS/2 mice was intentionally removed.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to look into this seriously so I'm
still Debian-less.  I've seen possibility #4 alluded to (usually preceded
by the words "I think") several times on this mailing list.  But I'm
suffering from a massive case of disbelief that this default capability
would intentionally be removed.

What I would very much like to see is a definitive statement regarding
Debian's default support, or default lack of support, for PS/2 mice.
(Hi Bruce, please respond).  If default PS/2 mouse support has been
intentionally removed, I'd also appreciate a quick explanation and
request that this decision be reconsidered.

Thanks for your support,
Mark Rahner