Re: NFS module insertion failed

Dear selber@fhi-berlin.mpg.de

> I have just tried to install Debian-1.1.5 which I got via ftp from
> ftp.inka.de.
>
> I used the disk set 1996-07-14 to make the base installation.
>
> The problem is that I can't insert the nfs module into the kernel. Which
> of course is the end of the story so far because I want to install via
> nfs.
>
> When running insmod, I get the following error message (more or less, I
> quote by heart, since the machine I'm writing this on is literally
> remote):
>
>   installation of nfs module failed.
>   symbols from Linux-2.0.6 don't match the definition from Linux-2.0.6
>
>   nfs_mknod: can't resolve ...
>   nfs_<this and that, some 10 more symbols>

This topic has been in the list lately. Until a new version of the
kernel image package is available, you have two options.

1) Recompile the kernel using the kernel-source package.
2) Use my without-any-promises recompiled package which has a working
nfs.o module in it. This package is in

   ftp.mcc.ac.uk:/pub/linux/distributions

and is called

   kernel-image-2.0.6-custom-1.0.i386.deb

The problem appears to be with the nfs.o module which does not match
the kernel!

Alvin

   | Alvin Birdi                    Email: alvin.birdi@man.ac.uk |
   | School of Economic Studies     Tel: 0161 275-4791           |
   | University of Manchester       Fax: 0161 275-4812           |
   | Manchester M13 9PL  UK                                      |