Re: OS/2 HPFS File System - Is this a Bug?

> On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Jim Worthington wrote:
> > I'm running OS/2 Warp with HPFS on several of my drives.
> >
> > I noticed that Linux 1.1 fdisk reveals two different file system
> > identifiers for these
> > HPFS partitions:
> >
> >   /dev/sda5  id 7  OS/2 HPFS
> >   /dev/hda2  id 17 Unknown
>
> This a little bit of a guess, (I have never used os/2 and linux on the
> same machine, and I never got os/2 to run right either) but I am think
> that /dev/hda2 might be your os/2 boot manager partition.  Are you using
> it? If you are, and linux's fdisk says it only 1 or 2 MB large, then I
> would  just remove it from your /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab files.

your suggestion doesn't hold water considering below he says it complains but
mounts the filesystem id 17 fine.

> > Has anybody else observed the two different identifers for HPFS
> > filesystems?  Is this a Bug?  Linux produces some error messages when
> > mounting the id 17 filesystem but it everything seems to work ok.  I
> > didn't observe any error messages when mounting the id 7 filesystem
> > which also works fine.
> >
> > OS/2 Warp doesn't complain at all.

Of course OS/2 shouldn't complain.  But are you sure you have OS/2 Warp or
the Merlin beta?  I installed os/2 warp myself and never got this particular
'id 17' partition.  Still, could you use os/2's fdisk and see what kindof
partition os/2 thinks the partition on the ide hard drive is?

Perhaps this is another id number we should add to the types that fdisk/linux
recognizes.

Especially if you can mount the os/2 volumes correctly, you should not worry
but wonder when os/2 started using the new id and how to get the maintainers
of fdisk to realize this fact, perhaps even to name it appropriately.

BTW, there is available a rw os2 ext2 driver.  It allows os/2 to mount ext2
read-write.  Worked fine when I had os/2.  But I ran out of space and lost the
hd (shock therapy doesn't work with hd's :-) os/2 booted from, so I never
re-installed.

--
Todd Fries .. todd@miango.com