Re: OS/2 HPFS File System - Is this a Bug?

Shaya Potter wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Jim Worthington wrote:
>
> > I'm running OS/2 Warp with HPFS on several of my drives.
> >
> > I noticed that Linux 1.1 fdisk reveals two different file system
> > identifiers for these
> > HPFS partitions:
> >
> >   /dev/sda5  id 7  OS/2 HPFS
> >   /dev/hda2  id 17 Unknown
>
> This a little bit of a guess, (I have never used os/2 and linux on the
> same machine, and I never got os/2 to run right either) but I am think
> that /dev/hda2 might be your os/2 boot manager partition.  Are you using it?
> If you are, and linux's fdisk says it only 1 or 2 MB large, then I would
> just remove it from your /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab files.

I am using OS/2 Boot Manager to select between Windows 95, OS/2 Warp and
Linux.  The boot manager partition has it's own unique identifier and is
being identified correctly.

The HPFS partitions in question are in the 120 to 300 meg range.  I
checked the SCSI drive on a second machine and the OS/2 Warp (version 3)
partition has a 17 id.

Do you think that IBM created a new partition type with the release of
Warp (OS/2 version 3.0x)?

Jim