Re: DEBIAN-Re: logging in takes ages

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Paul Wade wrote:

> Jim Rush wrote:
> >
> > My problem, since upgrading is similiar.  I get the prompt, enter username
> > and password and then wait.  It seems to be account related.  I can go to
> > other virtual terminals and log in as other users, but if I try the same
> > user, that
> > terminal will also hang.  Typicall hang times seem to be as bad as 30 seconds.
> >
> > Note, I almost always log in as root, so my problem may be root specific.
> >
> >                 Jim
> >

> Let me clarify what I did:
>
> 	I downloaded the new kernel from Finland before it was mirrored
> in the US. I built it, booted it and got the new delays. I usually log
> in via telnet from a Windoze system and then su to root with no delay.
> If you have an user account that responds fast, log in with it and then
> su root. It will be interesting to see if you get the delay on root that
> way.
>
> Paul Wade - Greenbush Systems

> * http://www.wtop.com/ - THE OTHER WEBSITE forever under construction *

This looks exactly like a well-known bug .. possible in syslogd or
sysklogd.  It no longer happens for me -- perhaps upgrade things some.

I keep up with the mirrors so I am usually only a week or so behind the
distribution.

My current Kernel is 2.0.0 and my sysklogd package is 1.3-6.
My libc is 5.2.18-8 and sysvinit is 2.62-1.

(hope this helps.)

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__2.0.0___
Error: this signature should not appear.  If you see this signature, ...