Re: DEBIAN-Re: logging in takes ages

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Jim Rush wrote:

> My problem, since upgrading is similiar.  I get the prompt, enter username
> and password and then wait.  It seems to be account related.  I can go to
> other virtual terminals and log in as other users, but if I try the same
> user, that
> terminal will also hang.  Typicall hang times seem to be as bad as 30 seconds.
>
> Note, I almost always log in as root, so my problem may be root specific.

I had this same problem on my R6 system, even after upgrading base and
devel the problem continued. After upgrading some of the admin (I don't
remember which, but cron was among them) packages, the problem went away.
Seems to be some longwinded bookkeeping going on.

Try upgrading the admin section and see if that fixes it.

Luck,

Dwarf