Strange dpkg install problem

Hi,

I observed what appears to be a very strange problem when using dpkg
to install workbone (I realised that it is now orphaned and is still
aout).  If I install workbone again when it is already installed, dpkg
says it is replacing the old package.  But after the replacement, the
binary `workbone' is missing.  `workbone.1' is missing too.  dpkg -L
workbone still shows these files.  Same problem for cdtool.

The problem is best illustrated by the following log.

-----------  start  -------------
root@scorpion:~/Debian/tmp/upgrades/tmp # cat /etc/debian_version
1.1
root@scorpion:~/Debian/tmp/upgrades/tmp # dpkg -l dpkg workbone
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  dpkg            1.2.6elf       Package maintenance system for Debian Linux
ii  workbone        2.3-3          Simple text-based CD Player
root@scorpion:~/Debian/tmp/upgrades/tmp # dpkg --purge workbone
(Reading database ... 15702 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing workbone ...
Purging configuration files for workbone ...
root@scorpion:~/Debian/tmp/upgrades/tmp # which workbone
root@scorpion:~/Debian/tmp/upgrades/tmp # dpkg --install workbone-2.3-3.deb
Selecting previously deselected package workbone.
(Reading database ... 15699 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking workbone (from workbone-2.3-3.deb) ...
Setting up workbone ...

root@scorpion:~/Debian/tmp/upgrades/tmp # which workbone
/usr/bin/workbone
root@scorpion:~/Debian/tmp/upgrades/tmp # dpkg --install workbone-2.3-3.deb
(Reading database ... 15702 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace workbone (using workbone-2.3-3.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement workbone ...
Setting up workbone ...

root@scorpion:~/Debian/tmp/upgrades/tmp # dpkg -s workbone
Package: workbone