Re: DEBIAN Linux on floppy disks

> I am a Linux novice and I have a Slackware Linux distribution installed
> on my Toshiba 105CS Satellite, which works fine. I am planning to install
> DEBIAN Linux on to my Laptop. Unfortunately I have no CD-ROM drive avail-
> able with this Laptop which make this attempt impossible.
> I have one CD-ROM with the DEBIAN Linux distribution on it. As I am able
> to run this CD on a Windows-based PC-System WIN95 on a seperat computer I
> thought it might be possible to make floppys, like I did with the
> Slackware distribution. I soon realized that a lot of files are too large
> to fit onto the disk.

> Is there anybody out there ...who can give me some advises how I can
> solve this problem.

You need to 'split' the .deb files that are too big.  This requires
dpkg-split, but I am not aware of a WIN95 version of this.  If you
created a (relatively minimal) linux partition on your cdrom machine,
then you could split the .deb files and copy them to floppies.

--
Steve Preston (spreston@gte.com)