Re: kernel header files

Lawrence Chim <ychim@yallara.cs.rmit.EDU.AU> writes:

> Is it necessary to install lib5-dev in order to compile programs.

Yes

> I don't know why there is a libc5-dev.  If I install a new kernel,
> it comes with its only kernel headers.

Install libc5-dev and read  /usr/doc/libc5-dev/FAQ.gz.

> Also, if I install libc5-dev, can I still install a newer version of
> linux kernel whenever it is available.

Yes, use the kernel-package package if you want to roll your own.
It's still in the experimental section because the user interface may
change, but it works great.  You can also just use the debian
kernel-source pakages if you are happy recompiling the version that
debian has available.

--
Rob