Re: Self-Built Kernel Packages

 > >         You could also grab the raw source and use kernel-package
 > > package to generate your new image package.  This is the recommended
 > > method for generating custom kernel images.
 >
 > Could you point me to exactly where this is recommended?
 >
 > In any case, though, I have no desire to follow this path.  I like
 > building my kernel directly from the main sources.  I don't want to
 > have to wait for a package to get built or apply patches to the
 > debian sources.

The point is that the kernel-package package provides a debian.rules
file (along with some other), that, installed in your kernel source
directory, will build a package containing *your own customized* linux
kernel. This package is named kernel-image, and installing it will
install this image on your system.

YA.