Self-Built Kernel Packages

> >> There is indeed a Debian-ized version of the kernel. The package is
> >> called kernel-image.
>
>         You could also grab the raw source and use kernel-package
> package to generate your new image package.  This is the recommended
> method for generating custom kernel images.

Could you point me to exactly where this is recommended?

In any case, though, I have no desire to follow this path.  I like
building my kernel directly from the main sources.  I don't want to
have to wait for a package to get built or apply patches to the
debian sources.

> Brian> But is there a "self-compiled-kernel-image"?  At least the new
> Brian> "diald" (in Incoming) depends on "kernel-image".
>
>         The self compiled kernel, if you do it using kernel-package
> package, will also "Provide" kernel-image.

See above.

> Brian> If I recall, some other package used to depend on the image but
> Brian> was changed to check the kernel version in the preinst script.
>
>         This is true about kernel version.
>
> Brian> So...  Should there be a restriction against listing the
> Brian> kernel-image as a dependancy in another package?
>
>         No, since if you follow the recommended method of generating
> kernel images, this will work.

But neither I nor some others install the Debian kernels.  We like
building our own.

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )