Re: Upgrading 0.93 to R6 - problems

On Sun, 26 May 1996, Amos Shapira wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade 0.93 to 1.1 according to Dale Scheetz' instrucions
> but encounter a basic problem. (Posted on May 16th)
>
> My setup - an IDE disk used for booting and as root, a SCSI disk used to hold
> the debian packages (/mnt) I downloaded over the modem so far (i.e. I don't
> have a full mirror of Debian with me).
>
> Under the kernel which came with R6 I compile 1.3.100 with Elf support
> built-in, but this new kernel can't recognize the scsi disk, even though
> it is built in (i.e. not a module).  It seems to run fine other than that,
> but it's unusable to me without access to my SCSI disk.
>
> I suspect this is maybe because my gcc-2.6.3-5 doesn't let the kernel
> image itself to be in Elf format (I think it doesn't support Elf).  I have
> this suspicion since I was told this causes problem in other systems, but
> I'm in a Catch-22 here - I can't install libc5 and the other Elf stuff
> because the current kernel has Elf as a module, and I can't recompile
> the kernel to have built-in Elf support because I can't find its source.
>
> Can someone help me, please?

I don't think your problem has anything to do with ELF support. It has to
do with SCSI support. You not only need to enable scsi support, and the
specific disk/tape/generic drivers, you will also need to enable the
correct driver for your interface card. Add all the modules to the list in
/etc/modules, upgrade the modules package to a recent version and you
should be ready to go. Check out the man pages for lsmod, insmod, and
depmod to get started.

Luck,

Dwarf