Re: regular (aka bsd) compress distribution?

> > silly restrictions.  And the free world is only 100ms away...
>
> This is why we moved the mailing list out of the U.S.

Yes, it was very good move.  But the distribution needs to be moved too.
Consider a Debian package which contains four-letter words - say, an
improved version of passwd with a dictionary to prevent such words being
chosen by users as login passwords :-).

> At the very least we should have an outside-of-US site for some components

Yes.  It has been done before - for example, FreeBSD has a non-US site
ftp.internat.freebsd.org (in South Africa) for crypto stuff etc.

Another suggestion: move a few things from the "non-free" directory
to a new "non-US" directory (packages which are non-free in the US
because of US-only software patents etc., but are OK in most other
countries).  This would help non-US CD-ROM publishers to deliver as
complete Debian systems as possible without breaking the laws.

Regards,

Marek