Re: Compiling the kernel..

On Thu, 23 May 1996 Richard.Dansereau@ee.umanitoba.ca wrote:

> I tried the procedure you (and a couple of others) suggested.  I currently
> have debian 0.93R6 installed and am trying to compile the kernel from
>     devel/source-1.3.64-0.deb

You've got the wrong kernel version.  These instructions only apply to
recent kernel versions, 1.3.97 or later.

> I also tried doing "make zImage" I get
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-1.3.64/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -pipe -m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=586  -DNFS_ROOT="\"/tftpboot/%s\"" -c -o init/main.o init/main
.c
> cc1: Invalid option `align-loops=2'
> cc1: Invalid option `align-jumps=2'
> cc1: Invalid option `align-functions=2'
> make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
>
> I do have gcc version 2.6.3 so I don't think that should be a problem.
> Any ideas?

No idea.  As a wild guess i'd suspect that maybe you're trying to compile
an ELF kernel with an a.out only gcc.

If this is the case, then you can 'make config' again to de-select the
"compile kernel as ELF?" option and recompile...or you can upgrade to
ELF.

Dale Scheetz (dwarf@polaris.net) has written some good notes on how to
upgrade from 0.93r6 to 1.1 - he posts them semi-regularly to the debian
mailing lists - if you follow them to the point of updating to ELF ld.so
and libc5, then you can upgrade to the latest gcc and libc5-dev, then
you can compile an ELF kernel.

Note, you may need to first compile an a.out kernel with ELF binary support
built in (NOT as a module - ld.so won't let you upgrade to the latest
version if ELF support is not in the kernel), reboot on that, and then do
the upgrade as written by Dale.

I'd suggest upgrading to the beta 1.1, keeping track of (and reporting)
any bugs which affect you and upgrading only the packages affected as
fixes come out.  When 1.1 goes from beta to release status, do a full
upgrade again.

Debian 1.1 might still be called 'unstable', but that refers more to the
fact that packages are being upgraded every day with new versions.  As far
as functionality goes, it's at least as stable and reliable as 0.93r6.

The hard part is doing the initial upgrade from 0.93r6 to 1.1 - you've
got to take that slowly and carefully.  As I mentioned, Dale has written
some very good instructions on how to do this.  If you think about what
you're doing and pause for a second before hitting the enter key you
wont run into any trouble.  After that, subsequent upgrades will be no
hassle at all - it's just the switch from a.out to ELF which makes the
upgrade a little dangerous if performed without thought.

Craig