Re: Compiling the kernel..

Craig Sanders writes:

> On Thu, 23 May 1996 Richard.Dansereau@ee.umanitoba.ca wrote:
>
> > I tried the procedure you (and a couple of others) suggested.  I currently
> > have debian 0.93R6 installed and am trying to compile the kernel from
> >     devel/source-1.3.64-0.deb
>
> You've got the wrong kernel version.  These instructions only apply to
> recent kernel versions, 1.3.97 or later.
>
> > I also tried doing "make zImage" I get
> > gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-1.3.64/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -pipe -m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=586  -DNFS_ROOT="\"/tftpboot/%s\"" -c -o init/main.o init/main>
> .c
> > cc1: Invalid option `align-loops=2'
> > cc1: Invalid option `align-jumps=2'
> > cc1: Invalid option `align-functions=2'
> > make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
> >
> > I do have gcc version 2.6.3 so I don't think that should be a problem.
> > Any ideas?
>
> No idea.  As a wild guess i'd suspect that maybe you're trying to compile
> an ELF kernel with an a.out only gcc.

This is a possibility.  I will look into that further.

> If this is the case, then you can 'make config' again to de-select the
> "compile kernel as ELF?" option and recompile...or you can upgrade to
> ELF.
>
> Dale Scheetz (dwarf@polaris.net) has written some good notes on how to
> upgrade from 0.93r6 to 1.1 - he posts them semi-regularly to the debian
> mailing lists - if you follow them to the point of updating to ELF ld.so
> and libc5, then you can upgrade to the latest gcc and libc5-dev, then
> you can compile an ELF kernel.
>
> Note, you may need to first compile an a.out kernel with ELF binary support
> built in (NOT as a module - ld.so won't let you upgrade to the latest
> version if ELF support is not in the kernel), reboot on that, and then do
> the upgrade as written by Dale.
>

> I'd suggest upgrading to the beta 1.1, keeping track of (and reporting)
> any bugs which affect you and upgrading only the packages affected as
> fixes come out.  When 1.1 goes from beta to release status, do a full
> upgrade again.
>
> Debian 1.1 might still be called 'unstable', but that refers more to the
> fact that packages are being upgraded every day with new versions.  As far
> as functionality goes, it's at least as stable and reliable as 0.93r6.
>
> The hard part is doing the initial upgrade from 0.93r6 to 1.1 - you've
> got to take that slowly and carefully.  As I mentioned, Dale has written
> some very good instructions on how to do this.  If you think about what
> you're doing and pause for a second before hitting the enter key you
> wont run into any trouble.  After that, subsequent upgrades will be no
> hassle at all - it's just the switch from a.out to ELF which makes the
> upgrade a little dangerous if performed without thought.

Is doing a slow upgrade from 0.93R6 to 1.1 a better idea than trying
a clean installation of 1.1?  I actually tried doing a complete wipe
of my hard disk and installing 1.1 from scratch.  Unfortunately, the
packages at that time for lib5-dev, cpp, and gcc kept conflicting
with each other and dselect would not allow me to install them
(even though dselect suggested that I should be able to install thing
properly).  So, I wiped my hard drive and installed 0.93R6 which
went without any problems.  Have installation problems been reported
for lib5-dev that have recently been fixed?

Richard..

Richard Dansereau
Email: rdanse@pobox.com          Home page:  http://pobox.com/~rdanse
Electrical and Computer Engineering - University of Manitoba - Canada