Re: Compiling the kernel..

Craig Sanders writes:

> On Wed, 22 May 1996 Richard.Dansereau@ee.umanitoba.ca wrote:
>
> > This appears to contain the standard kernel release source tree but
> > has a number of additional things (such as a nifty Tcl/Tk GUI for
> > kernel configurations).
>
> "make xconfig" and "make menuconfig" are a standard part of the linux
> kernel now...has been for most of the 1.3.x series kernels.
>
> > What is the procedure I should take to compile a kernel under debian
> > and to take into account loadable modules, etc.?
> >
> > Also, if I want to get newer kernel releases is there a way to
> > integrate it in with the additional Debian changes for /usr/src/linux?
>
> simplest way is to download "kernel_source-x.x.x.deb", use dpkg to
> install it, and then:
>
> 1.  cd /usr/src/linux
>
> 2.  configure the kernel with:
>
>        make config
> -or-
>        make menuconfig
> -or-
>        make xconfig
>
> 3.  make dep ; make clean     # this step may not be necessary. i'm not
>                               # sure if debian.rules already does it or not.
>                               # it can't hurt to do it, though...only takes a
>                               # few minutes.
>
> 4.  touch stamp-configure     # if you don't do this, then debian.rules
>                               # will overwrite your config with the standard
>                               # debian kernel_image package config.
>
> 5.  build the kernel image package:
>
>     ./debian.rules kernel_image
>

> This procedure will create a kernel_image-x.x.x.i386.deb package in
> /usr/src, which can be installed with dpkg just like any other package.
> reboot to run the new kernel.
>

> NOTE: if you are recompiling a kernel which is already installed, you
> will probably want to rm -rf /lib/modules/x.x.x BEFORE you install the
> new kernel.  Otherwise that modules directory will be full of old junk
> from the last compile.
>
> If you are currently running that version of the kernel, and using those
> modules (i.e. with kerneld or modprobe) then you really should reboot as
> soon as you've installed the new version
>
> procedure is:
>
> 1. build kernel version x.x.x
> 2. rm -rf /lib/modules/x.x.x
> 3. dpkg -i kernel_image.x.x.x.deb
> 4. reboot
>
> Craig

I tried the procedure you (and a couple of others) suggested.  I currently
have debian 0.93R6 installed and am trying to compile the kernel from
    devel/source-1.3.64-0.deb

Unfortunately, when I run "./debian.rules kernel_image" I get
	make: *** No rule to make target `kernel_image'.  Stop.
Am I doing something wrong?

I also tried doing "make zImage" I get
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-1.3.64/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -pipe -m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=586  -DNFS_ROOT="\"/tftpboot/%s\"" -c -o init/main.o init/main.c
cc1: Invalid option `align-loops=2'
cc1: Invalid option `align-jumps=2'
cc1: Invalid option `align-functions=2'
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1

I do have gcc version 2.6.3 so I don't think that should be a problem.
Any ideas?

Richard..

Richard Dansereau
Email: rdanse@pobox.com          Home page:  http://pobox.com/~rdanse
Electrical and Computer Engineering - University of Manitoba - Canada