can't remove print jobs :-(

We have a print server just upgraded to 1.1. When we submit jobs from
another machine it prints is fine. However, if we try to lprm <job>
from the machine where we issued the lpr, we get

print_server: <strange name>: permission denied
(one more line with permission denied)

Even root cannot remove the job. If the same user logs in the print
server (with the same uid) it still can NOT remove the jobs!! :-( Only
root on the print server can remove them. This is MOSTLY annoying :-(

Here's the permissions of the dirs/commands:

on the submitting machine:

-rwsr-sr-x   1 root     lp          16388 May 11  1995 /usr/bin/lpr*
-rwsr-sr-x   1 root     lp          16388 May 11  1995 /usr/bin/lprm*
drwxrwsr-x   5 root     lp           1024 Jan 31 13:38 lpd/
drwxrwsr-x   2 root     lp           1024 Jan 31 06:20 lp/

On the print server:

-rwsr-sr-x   1 root     lp          14021 Jan 15 21:47 /usr/bin/lpr*
-rwsr-sr-x   1 root     lp          13141 Jan 15 21:47 /usr/bin/lprm*
drwxrwsr-x   8 root     lp           1024 Apr 26 09:40 lpd/
drwxrwsr-x   2 root     lp           1024 May 15 18:14 lp/

I tried to start lpd with the -l option, but then the remote printing
just hangs, and never gets sent to the print server. Several lpq's on
the submitting machine seem to produce different instances of lpd on
the print server. I had to kill them manually.

The print server also has a strange problem: after some time it's no
longer possible to log in as root, either on the console or remotely;
the login process just stops. This doesn't happen to normal users! The
only solution is to hard reset. I've upgraded from .99R6 to 1.1
completely (the only aout program is netscape now). I've also changed
the hardware. The problem persists. The only boards I didn't change
are the ether card and an old super-IDE card that's used to connect a
second parallel printer. This card has all functions except parallel
port disabled by jumpers.

Any clues? This is an important problem now... :-(
Carlos