Re: X Windows

On Wed, 15 May 1996, Kevin M Bealer wrote:

> On Tue, 14 May 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > > Unfortunately, you mus edit the /etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwmrc file yourself
> > > to add the menu items.  I don't know of any good menu editor but there
> > > may be one for all I know.
> > >
> > Vi works for me :-)
>
> 'pico' is good for a unix newbie.  If you are used to the ancestral wordstar
> command set that many dos editors use (even windoze borrows from it ^V=paste
> etc.), "joe" (which is my editor of choice) is good. joe is one executable
> with 5 names: joe, jstar, jmacs, rjoe, jpico.  Joe is the author's choice,
> the others are partial/complete emulations.

I too have used joe a lot (everyone can do control K something) but lately
have moved to vi just so I can type '`' without joe asking for the ascii
code. Now that I have X running I can look at xkeycaps and find out what
the ascii code is, but I have begun to get used to vi (eeeeeiiiuuuuwwwww
really?) and use is often when writing scripts. Yes I know that emacs are
good for this, but I just haven't gotten used to all the C- and M- key
sequences. Old brains don't soak up this stuff like they used to.
The one you forgot to mention is ae. This is the editor delivered with the
base packages. It is truely simple to use, and great for fixing up that
boot script that just doesn't work right. Besides which, no matter how
simple a system you have, you will always have ae. (sort of like Paris)

Thanks,

Dwarf