Re: X Windows

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:

> One of the joys of getting X up is that you'll get Netscape
> up and then you'll be able to use DejaNews to answer every question under
> the Sun!

Switching to a Cyrrus Logic card solved the major problem. Now I only have
a hand full of little ones :-)
First, when I try and install the netscape package, I get:

(Reading database ... 13477 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace netscape (using netscape-2.01-2.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement netscape ...
Setting up netscape ...
ERROR: The Netscape archive must be in /tmp under the name
       /tmp/netscape-v201-export.i486-unknown-linux.tar.[Z|gz]
dpkg: error processing netscape (--install):
 netscape

I realize that I need to get this archive before I can do the
installation. Where do I find this beast? How come the installation
doesn't point me to it? I looked in contrib, non-free, etc... and didn't
find anything.

> I think in addition to the packages you mentioned, you'll want to get
> xpm4.7 (for fvwm2 -- I think you want fvwm2 rather than fvwm).  I also
> find myself always getting xfntpex.

Fvwm2 installs fine once you install xpm4.7. However, since fvwm2 is not
in the /etc/window-managers file. Shouldn't this file contain all of the
window managers that are available under Debian X?

> Then there's the issue of really doing something with X.  What you need then
> depends on what you want to do.

When I decide what I want to add, how do I hang it on the menu system? Is
there a good user tutorial? In particular, I can start the xserver either
as root or as a user, but I can't seem to do both. Once root cranks up the
xserver, how does a user gain access to the server?

TIA,

Dwarf