Re: X Windows

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> (Reading database ... 13477 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace netscape (using netscape-2.01-2.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement netscape ...
> Setting up netscape ...
> ERROR: The Netscape archive must be in /tmp under the name
>        /tmp/netscape-v201-export.i486-unknown-linux.tar.[Z|gz]
> dpkg: error processing netscape (--install):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  netscape

The Netscape archive must be obtained directly from netscape (maybe
sunsite has it too!) at ftp.mcom.com (I think this is the current
address, although Netscape tend to change occasionally).

> When I decide what I want to add, how do I hang it on the menu system? Is
> there a good user tutorial? In particular, I can start the xserver either
> as root or as a user, but I can't seem to do both. Once root cranks up the
> xserver, how does a user gain access to the server?

Unfortunately, you mus edit the /etc/X11/fvwm/system.fvwmrc file yourself
to add the menu items.  I don't know of any good menu editor but there
may be one for all I know.

Cheers

Carlo

    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      segre@charlie.acc.iit.edu                      *