Re: /etc/psdevtab?

Hello,

> After upgrade my base packages to the 1.1ELF stuff, I see a file /etc/psdevtab
> which wasn't installed by any of the packages. What is this file?

its a map between Minor/Major Device numbers and Device Names. This is
needed for programs like ps which want to print the device names for given
inodes. This table is created automatically, if you run "ps" (from the
procps package in the base) the first time. This speeds up ps a big time and
reduces the amount of 'stats' in the /dev/ directory on the following
invokations of ps.

Greetings
Bernd
--