Re: sendmail up and running or not

On Wed, 8 May 1996, Rob Leslie wrote:

> To receive mail directly from the outside, you need to have a host or domain
> name for which mail will be routed to your machine. Sometimes this involves an
> MX record pointing to your machine. It assumes your machine is always
> connected to the net. If this isn't the case, or if you don't have a static
> host or domain name, you probably can't use this kind of mail configuration;
> you might want to look into a POP setup instead using `popclient'.

Another approach worth considering is the use of uucp for email (and news)
transfers.  That's what I use at my site and it works like a charm.  Note
that as mentioned above, your upstream provider must set up an MX record
for your machine or domain, and also set up a uucp account for your

Using POP to obtain email from your upstream provider is o.k., but is too
limiting and just darned inconvenient.  Using uucp as a transport
mechanism automates sending and receiving of email (and news).  It also
has the benefit allowing you can set up as many email accounts as you

Best regards,

Nick Busigin                                                nick@xwing.org