Re: Debian Mirror

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Amos Shapira wrote:

> Andrew Stephen <andrews@intrepid.byteline.com.au> wrote:
> | I have set up a debian mirror on my hdd and was wondering what is
> | the best way to move it to another partion.
>
> The most common way is to do something a-la
>
> "cd original-dir; tar cf - . | (cd new-dir; tar xvf -)"

I always use "cp -af sourcedir destdir && rm -rf sourcedir".  It
preserves ownership, permissions, timestamp etc.  I think this
only works with GNU cp, which is why most people use the tar
command...commercial unixes, unlike linux, don't usually come with GNU
cp.

Is there any reason why the tar command is better than "cp -af"?

Craig