1.1 base installation

After having installed the unstable version in early March, with all the
headaches that entailed, I was AMAZED by how easy it was to install the
new 1.1 base system on my laptop (aero).

The menu of choices has improved greatly, and everything went without a
hitch, and without needing to pour over manuals and/or draw from my
experience.  A novice clearly could get a fully-functional system off of
that.

I noticed a couple bugs, which I think are well-known:  the syslogd
seems to be a.out, and since a.out lib's are not installed it dies.
This is OK by me, since to conserve resources on my aero I disable that
anyway.  Also, the netconfig stuff didn't configure slip -- but maybe
that isn't a base package.

I won't be installing the rest of the system from packages, since I have
to be very choosy about what I install on the laptop to save space -- I
have had, and will have, a functional system with X, TeX, Motif, maple,
and wingz on an 84 meg drive.  No manpages, few fonts, and no compiler,
but it is great for the road.

--

David L. Johnson         	dlj0@lehigh.edu  dlj0@netaxs.com
Department of Mathematics	http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html