Re: beta-test news

I just upgraded my TeX package to the new (ELF) version.  I had had the
unstable version of 3/7, which was a.out.  Things are nicer now.

I have a simple question:  I was able to force dpkg to not worry about
my libc version .  It originally complained about:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of makeindex:
 makeindex depends on libc5 (>=5.2.18-4); however:
  Version of libc5 on system is 5.2.18-1.

but re-installing with --ignore-depends=libc5 went through fine.

Now, my question(s):  What is the difference in the new libc package?
More seriously, since I had no end of trouble going from the old
floppies to the unstable base, due to libc not being re-configured, if
I _do_ install the new libc5 package, will it re-run ldconfig so my
system will work, or do I have to go through the hassles I did on my
original installation to get the libraries recognized?  I must admit
that updating my clib is not my favorite task, as I have more than once
fallen into a trap and had hours of extra work to get the system back.

--

David L. Johnson         		dlj0@lehigh.edu, dlj0@netaxs.com
Department of Mathematics		http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html