Re: New Markets

Bruce Perens wrote:

> > It would be a good idea to see if a new, quicker development cycle or
> > paradigm could be started after 1.1.  Or at least one that looks quicker
> > -- in the competition of the hears of Linuxers, looks, feel, and hearsay
> > are about the most important weapons.
>
> I was thinking about a 3-month release cycle. Start the beta test in 2
> months after a release, beta-test for 1 month, and release.

Hmmm. I guess when I first heard about Debian, I thought that it would
be a different model.

In my scenario that follows:
  1) does it make sense
  2) was it ever a goal

If package maintenence was perfect, there would be no numbered releases.
The distribution tree would "just be there", constantly getting updates
to individual packages. Any given snapshot at any given time would be
complete and stable. One could just get all or selected updates at any
time. The dependency scheme would ensure that required bits were there
for all updates.

Now, I realize that the 0.93R6 -> 1.1 release is different, being that the
switch to ELF is massive. It may be a long time before anything so difficult
to do cleanly will happen again (?).

--
...RickM...