Re: New Markets

[Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi>]

|   It would be a good idea to see if a new, quicker development cycle or
|   paradigm could be started after 1.1.

Not a flame either, but let me simply state: The package format it to
complicate.

This isn't only my opinion here.  These pre- and postinst scripts are
quite sophisticated, sure, and they are needed.  But e. g. there is no
need to re-package the original program sources!  The source should stay
untouched as _virgin_ .tar.gz files.

As long as the Debian community does not change their mind, I will
*never* make any package (in the past, I have done a lot socalled Notes
files for the BOGUS distribution -- but the Debianization of the sources
prevents me from participating here, and -- believe me -- I'm really sad
about it!).

Please, change the format as soon as 1.1 is out (and, please, make it
possible to create an .deb without becoming root: dpkg -i should set the
permissions running an postinst script).

Karl