Re: New Markets

> Not a flame either, but let me simply state: The package format it to
> complicate.
>
> This isn't only my opinion here.  These pre- and postinst scripts are
> quite sophisticated, sure, and they are needed.  But e. g. there is no
> need to re-package the original program sources!  The source should stay
> untouched as _virgin_ .tar.gz files.

The who point of making the packages more complicated is so that the
installation becomes less complicated.  I love the fact that I can spend
several hours or a given package to make it install right on other
machines because that means that others are doing the same for me!  There
is absolutely _no_ way I could keep my machine up to date if I had to
manually install everything.

> As long as the Debian community does not change their mind, I will
> *never* make any package (in the past, I have done a lot socalled Notes
> files for the BOGUS distribution -- but the Debianization of the sources
> prevents me from participating here, and -- believe me -- I'm really sad
> about it!).

That's too bad.  Creating a .deb package really isn't very difficult.  Most
packages just involve a couple lines in the "postinst" and "prerm" scripts.

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )