Re: bigger, sexier, more phly debian...

Mark Eichin wrote:

> > its time, I don't think there are any aspects of NeXTStep that aren't available
> > in the X environment.  In addition, the network transparency of X is not (to my
>
> Early versions of NeXTstep (2.x I guess, whatever ran on Black Cubes :-)
> Did in fact have network transparency - and even less access control
> than X does. Mostly got used for hacking people, as far as I could
> ever tell.

My experience with NeXTs was, first, a semi-vaporware beta demo we were
evaluating for use here at Lehigh, and a lab of NeXTStations running, I think,
one of the later Motorolla-based versions.  I don't recall this being
available at either end, but the beta cube was stand-alone, so may have had
it.

> NeXTstep did win on a few things:
>         1) remote execution of code on the server, for tight feedback loops

You mean a kernel-and-frontend kind of relationship, with the kernel on a
computeserver?

>         2) *device independent graphics* which X does not have! X has
> portable device dependency - you get all of the details to figure out
> for yourself (mutated a bit - as Don Hopkins put it, "The X rendering
> model assumes that all displays are VAX framebuffers on acid.")

I don't understand this.  How can an OS made to run on only their own
computers have had device-independent graphics?  But perhaps you mean the
Intel versions.  Those, as I understand it, only run on a very limited class
of intel-based machines, with very specific requirements for the video
devices.  So, to be device-independent has limited meaning, if your code only
works on a limited number of devices.  X, on the other hand, may kudge the
display handling, but it runs on a vast array of different display devices.

> Of course, this indicates nothing about the acceptance or usefulness
> of GNUstep... which, if it depends on the use of Objective C the way
> NeXTstep did, is probably not going anywhere :-)

Although the objective-C was one of the big selling points of NeXTStep.

What is the status of either NeXTStep of GNUStep?

--

David L. Johnson         	dlj0@lehigh.edu  dlj0@netaxs.com
Department of Mathematics	http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html