Re: (fwd) Re: Help: Easy Questions

I actually just went through this whole process.  I had one disk
partitioned for Windows 95 and Linux.  Luckily for me I have two
embedded IDE controllers on my motherboard, so I just made the new disk
a master.  I had to go through hell though, since I wanted the new one
to be my boot drive; I first had to install it as the D: drive, copy all
I needed to it from my old drive, which includes backing what linux
stuff I wanted to keep to the msdos formatted new disk.  Then I had to
set the new disk as the boot disk, which meant switching the
controllers.  Booting off it, reinstalling linux to the old disk. ON an
on.  I do recommend that you partition your msdos/windows disk such that
you can have your linux swap space there.  It is best to keep the swap
space separate from your root drive, especially if you have two
controllers.  Unfortunately, or fortunately, in my case I have a great
drive .. Western Digital 1.6G, it tends to go into energy saver mode
when the swap isn't being used, so sometimes there is a delay when I
need to use swap space.

Have Fun!
--Michael

%% Chris Fearnley writes:

  cf> Ian Comley writes:
  >>  I am planning to install a second hard disk on my machine and
  >> install Linux on that. I wondered if some bored individuals could
  >> answer a couple of simple questions:
  >>
  >> Is installing a second hard drive easy - ie. do I just need to buy
  >> a new drive and no other hardware, or is there something else
  >> involved?

  cf> I assume your talking about IDE drives. Well you need an IDE cable
  cf> with 2 connectors obviously, and the drive you buy needs to be
  cf> able to be master or slave to the other drive, this doesn't always
  cf> work with some drives. IDE is such a wonderful "standard" ain't it
  cf> ;)

  cf> Do NOT install a Conner disk as slave.  Last time one of my
  cf> clients did that it cost him BIG time.  [I never saw such bizarre
  cf> filesystem corruption -- and neither did e2fsck :( ]

  cf> -- Christopher J. Fearnley | UNIX SIG Leader at PACS
  cf> cjf@netaxs.com | (Philadelphia Area Computer Society)
  cf> http://www.netaxs.com/~cjf | Design Science Revolutionary
  cf> ftp://ftp.netaxs.com/people/cjf | Explorer in Universe "Dare to be
  cf> Naive" -- Bucky Fuller | Linux Advocate

  cf> --
Michael Karafotis				karafoti@pencom.com
Member, Pencom Systems Administration		On-Site: Fidelity FMR Corp
http://www.ari.net/webworks/karafotis/		(617) 563-3692
"The more I look at it, the more I like it ............. I do think its good!"