(fwd) Re: Help: Easy Questions

Ian Comley writes:

> I am planning to install a second hard disk on my machine and install Linux on
> that. I wondered if some bored individuals could answer a couple of simple
> questions:
>
> Is installing a second hard drive easy - ie. do I just need to buy a new drive
> and no other hardware, or is there something else involved?

I assume your talking about IDE drives. Well you need an IDE cable with
2 connectors obviously, and the drive you buy needs to be able to
be master or slave to the other drive, this doesn't always work
with some drives. IDE is such a wonderful "standard" ain't it ;)

Do NOT install a Conner disk as slave.  Last time one of my clients
did that it cost him BIG time.  [I never saw such bizarre filesystem
corruption -- and neither did e2fsck :(  ]

--
Christopher J. Fearnley            |    UNIX SIG Leader at PACS
cjf@netaxs.com                     |    (Philadelphia Area Computer Society)