Re: Packages

>All this is about is book-keeping. Installing a Slackware package as
>Slackware package means that there is absolutely no record of what you
>have done; if, for example, it overwrites an important file, it will be
>*very* hard to find out.

I agree with this... For example, I already have (a.out) tcl 7.4 and
tk 4.0 on my system, in /usr/local... Quite a few packages would
squawk when I installed them, claiming I needed tcl/tk... There should
be a very simple mechanism to allow me to update dpkg's stuff to say
that the stuff I already have 'provides' tcl/tk...

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			Graduate Student/Sysadmin
kaszeta@me.umn.edu,kaszeta@bofh.mi.org  University of MN, ME Dept