Re: Mail and news

Mark Constable writes:
>Richard Kettlewell wrote:
>
>> >02/15/96 11:07:54: open_spool: /var/spool/smail/input/0tbD4n-00091DC: lock fail
>> >ed: Try again
>
>Could be a "simple" permissions prob. Make sure smail is setuid
>root. I use sendmail but I had the same sort of problem with my mail
>queue at one point. Something like;
>
>-r-sr--r--   1 root     bin        258130 Oct  9 16:09 /usr/sbin/smail
>
>needs to be done. That's a "chmod u+s smail". Just a wild suggestion.

/usr/sbin/smail should be rwsr-xr-x and owned by root (the group is
mostly irrelevant); it certainly ought to be possible for ordinary
users to execute it, otherwise they won't be able to send mail!

If it's r-s rather than rws that doesn't matter one jot.

If it's not running as root then the chances are it'll never have
managed to queue the messages in the first place!

If the Debian Smail package doesn't install it this way then either
you've found a bug in it, or your system is seriously up the spout.

--
Richard Kettlewell
http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/                    richard@uk.geeks.org

Eat a live toad before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day.