Re: Mail and news

Mike Patterson writes:

>sendmail -bp got me a queue of 15 entires, all old outgoing mail. They look
>like:
>
>m0tjet7-00091QC From: mike  (in /var/spool/smail/input)
>                Date: Mon, 5 Feb 96 21:20 MST
>                Args: -oem -oMP send-mail mike@col.hp.com
>

>sendmail -q immediately gives me a prompt. Doing sendmail -bp again shows
>that all the mail is still in the queue.

Looks like you're using Smail l-) `mailq' and `runq' are more
convenient ways to do the above.

Have a look at /var/spool/smail/log/logfile and
/var/spool/smail/log/paniclog to see if Smail has anything to tell
you.

(Actually they may have moved to /var/log/<something> in more recent
versions.  Explore.)

If you're still stuck then you should tell us:

 * how you expect the mail to get out (full SMTP delivery?  SMTP to
   smarthost?  UUCP?)

 * what your smail config files say (see under /etc/smail/)

 * what your connectivity is (ethernet, ppp, slip, ..?)

(How is mail reaching your system, BTW?)

--
Richard Kettlewell
http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/                    richard@uk.geeks.org

Eat a live sendmail before breakfast and nothing worse will ever happen to you