Debian 0.93 vs kernel 1.3.59

I want to use the 1.3 series kernels.  It has a feature I need.  However,
when I compile I get the following error.

ld -m elf_i386  -r -o kernel.o ksyms.o sched.o dma.o fork.o exec_domain.o panic.
o printk.o sys.o module.o exit.o signal.o itimer.o info.o time.o softirq.o resou
rce.o sysctl.o
make[1]: *** [kernel.o] Segmentation fault (core dumped)
make[1]: *** Deleting file `kernel.o'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-headers-1.3.59/kernel'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

Does this imply that I need to install ELF support ?  If so, is there a
debian package to do the install or must I follow the ELF howto ?

I'm asking the debian user list because my system is a ground up debian 0.93
install.
Note - to try and solve the problem I did update any development files that
were newer than the ones I already had installed.

TIA,
        Jim
  .oooO Oooo.
  (   ) (   )    jimrush@indirect.com