Emacs 19.30.1 on the console...

I've just built Emacs 19.30.1 from the source available on
ftp.gnu.ai.mit.edu, and have been unable to get it to treat my screen
nicely.  Everything is scattered all over the screen...Editing is
impossible.  This would seem to me to be a termcap/terminfo entry
problem except that many other ncurses/terminfo-based programs
(e.g., info, less, nvi, cfdisk) handle the console just fine.

Has anybody else noticed this Emacs-only problem?  Is there an easy
fix?  If it matters, I have ncurses-base, ncurses-bin, ncurses-dev,
and ncurses3.0 (all version 1.9.8a-4) installed.

I hope somebody can help me---I really need Emacs to work!

Best regards,
Albin Jones