mach32 bpp 16

i just upgraded my debian 0.93R6 to 1.1. took me a while, but i more or less
figured out everything and have it working now. however, i do have one question
about the mach32 server.  i used to be able to specify -bpp 16 in my .xserverrc
file and run x in 16 bit mode. however, after upgraading to 1.1 with the
xserver-mach32, i can't do it any more. it says
/usr/bin/X11/XF86_Mach32 -bpp 16 failed.

i used both the old XF86Config file and also a new one with new X -probeonly
but neither worked. can anyone gimme some pointers please? oh yeah using the
old xmach32 in the stable tree doesn't work either.  what am i missing here?

cheers

--
  \__/    Junebug | email: jun.ying@gtri.gatech.edu |                   \__/
  (o-)    URL: http://solo.gtri.gatech.edu/~jun                         (--)