Re: More on debian-1.0 installation

   Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 02:25:10 -0600 (CST)
   From: Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu>

   On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Douglas Bates wrote:

   > When running dselect now, I state in the Access choice that I am
   > installing from a mounted file system.  If I try to choose Update or
   > Install, I get an error message back from mount.  I think there is a
   > confusion between the access method and the way dselect is trying to
   > get to the files.

   I had the same bug and even wasted time tracing it down to
   /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/disk/setup placing a ':' where it shouldn't.

   Waste of time because the dpkg on ftp.debian.org, dpkg-1.0.15.tar.gz,
   fixes the problem.  I refer to the source package because the ftp site
   is still being pulled off of backup; the binary package isn't there
   yet.

Thanks for the information on dpkg-1.0.15.  As you said, it fixes all
the difficulties I was encountering.  I just got a chance to look at
the ftp.debian.org revamping and it looks very nice.  I discovered, of
course, that I was about a week early in my installation of what will
now be known as the "unstable" system.

Ah well, I can always regard it as a learning experience.

Regretably, the Australian archives did not get the chance to update
last night and it is simply too slow to use ftp transfers to North
America right now.  I will wait until tomorrow to do a major update.