Re: 1.3.57 module loading problems

Dale Scheetz:
> I am getting really tired of the way modules don't work, and the
> statement "Linus doesn't use modules" is a very poor excuse for these
> features not working.

I don't use modules much ("make config; make depend; make zImage; make
modules; make modules_install" works for me, though), but I've heard
enough complaints about them that there is at least some problem with
them.  If not in the technology (I wouldn't know), then in the
packaging.

> In other words, how does Linus "not use modules" and get ppp to work?

Linus does not use PPP.  (Unless he has started doing so without telling
me, and he claimed he knew nothing about them when I asked if he had
any guesses as to my own problems...  One of the benefits of sharing the
office with a demigod is hearing them say "I don't, don't disturb me, this
bug is killing me".  :-)

Linus' main Intel development machine is directly connected to the Internet
(linux.helsinki.fi); he uses term when dialing to work from home.
At home he uses Ethernet to connect the machines.

> Can anyone point me to documentation that provides a functional
> description of how modules are supposed to work?

Sorry.