Re: 1.3.57 module loading problems

  Gerry> The only reason I can see for using modules is that if you only very
  Gerry> rarely need some feature provided by a module and you want to save a
  Gerry> little memory by not loading it all the time.  If this is not your
  Gerry> case, then I would recommend not using modules.

I see it a little differently. On several occasions, I only needed something
extra (plip networking for example) from my kernel. It's very convenient to
just throw in the needed functionality when it's needed. I have a reasonably
fast computer, and enough diskspace. But I rather have modules than have to
recompile every second day, or to keep a dozen kernel images.

I like modules. I've used them all the time in 1.1.* kernels. Being a ftape
user I had to read up on them anyway. I think they provide well-needed
flexibility.

And the info passed here earlier that you have to recompile them for a new
kernel is plain wrong. That changed a long time ago with another release of
the module utilities.

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd