Re: invalid partition table

On Tue, 14 Nov 1995, Thomas Krichel wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   We have a pentium box here that runs windoze95. To install debian,
>   I partioned the disk using fips. When debian loaded, I prepared
>   a swap partition and a linux partiion on as /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda3 using
>   the custom mode installation. The we installed the packages. X loads
>   with a garbeled sceen and no mouse reaction, and since xdm is run at
>   boot time, I am not sure how to stop. I consolated my colleague by
>   claiming that windoze95 would still be there. We removed the debian
>   boot disk, rebooted. The floppy is installed, then comes a message:
>
>   Invalid partition table
>
>   and windows stops.
>
>   How could this happen? Note that linux still boots, but I can
>   not do anything with it because of this xdm problem. Any way that
>   I can rectify the partition table problem?

It sounds like you installed lilo on the MBR. You can fix that if you
have an emergency DOS boot disk. Boot up your emergency disk and type:

fdisk /mbr

(I think that's right. You should check with help to be sure)

But, before you do that, you should boot up your install disks, mount
your linux partition and edit out the xdm call so you can boot linux.
Then build yourself a boot disk.

Now, your machine should boot into windows (after you fix the MBR) if the
boot disk is not installed, and should boot Debian when the boot disk is
installed in /dev/fd0.

Enjoy, but go slowly with X, it's really picky ;-)

YHS,

Dale