Re: invalid partition table

 Thomas> Hi, We have a pentium box here that runs windoze95. To install debian,
 Thomas> I partioned the disk using fips. When debian loaded, I prepared a swap
 Thomas> partition and a linux partiion on as /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda3 using the
 Thomas> custom mode installation. The we installed the packages. X loads with
 Thomas> a garbeled sceen and no mouse reaction, and since xdm is run at boot
 Thomas> time, I am not sure how to stop. I consolated my colleague by claiming
 Thomas> that windoze95 would still be there. We removed the debian boot disk,
 Thomas> rebooted. The floppy is installed, then comes a message:

 Thomas> Invalid partition table

 Thomas> and windows stops.

 Thomas> How could this happen? Note that linux still boots, but I can not do
 Thomas> anything with it because of this xdm problem. Any way that I can
 Thomas> rectify the partition table problem?

For both problems, I think you should play a while with the installation
root/boot disk pair.

1) For the invalid partition table:

I got the same problem, because I declared both the DOS (/dev/hda1 for you I
guess) and Linux (/dev/hda3) as bootable. I could fix that from the
Installation "Custom Mode" you used already. Don't forget to save to disk
before rebooting (I did!)... By the way: is it still the case that boot
partitions MUST begin at #sector < 1024? I kept a 150Mb DOS partition at the
beginning of my disk, and did not manage to boot from the Linux one, so this
silly limit still seems to applicable.

2) For the xdm problem:

In this same Custom mode, you can mount the hda3 to get all your files at
hand. Then you can start up a shell (the last menu item). After a bit of
playing, you should be able to muzzle xdm, but don't ask me how: I still wait
for a connexion to install the largish X packages on my system. After your
experience, it seems wise to startup X manually (with xstartup?) until
everything is smooth...

Hope this helps,

		Jean Orloff

Phone: (33) 50.09.16.75			Fax: (33) 50.09.89.13
email: orloff@lapphp0.in2p3.fr		http://lapphp0.in2p3.fr/~orloff/
LAPP, IN2P3, BP110, Chemin de Bellevue, F-74941 Annecy-le-Vieux
Home: 12 B av. du Tresum F-74000 Annecy Ph: (33) 50.45.08.91