Re: proc and less

>Well, I discovered today that there is nothing wrong with my proc
>filesystem. The problem seems to be with less. I had to create a new user
>to figure this out, since all my current users alias more to less. If I
>do "more /proc/filesystems" I get the normal list of allowed filesystems.
>If, however, I do "less /proc/filesystems" I get what appears to be an
>empty file.

>Is this a bug in less? (Or a feature)

If I had to take a stab:

/proc/filesystems has no oddball characters (like a leading ^D or some
such stupidity).  less displays its percentage based on filesize,
which the proc filesystem reports as 0 (for filesystems, at least).  I
assume that less uses the filesize to truncate it.

I'd call it a feature of less conflicting with a bug in proc.

--
http://www.wp.com/joelh --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu

Fourth law of computing:
  Anything that can go wro
.signature: segmentation violation -- core dumped