Re: ppp problem

>         Problem with ppp: 8-bit clean
>

> I get a "Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
>          Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0"
> with both a Sportster 28800 and a Worldport 14400.
>
> I have also received an error-message saying:
> Nov 29 19:28:57 pompel pppd[859]: Serial line is looped back
>
> I start ppp with:
> pppd connect 'chat -v "" ATDT22609101 CONNECT "" "name>" name "word>"
> \qpassword' /dev/cua1 38400 -detach debug crtscts modem defaultroute
>
> Why can the sportster do ~3200 cps with minicom, and refuse to connect
> with ppp??

I often get the 'Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean' message
when the connection failed. The problem is that ppp doesn't know that
the connection failed. The chat script finishes and the modem is
still in command mode. In command mode, modems often strip the eighth
bit off, hence the 'not 8-bit clean' message. Likewise, when a modem
is in command mode it will echo back what's sent to it, ergo the
'Serial line is looped back' message (although I must confess I've
never gotten this message). Can you see what's happening with the
chat script? Are you *sure* the chat script is getting you logged into
the remote end properly? Check this out and let me know.

= Jens B. Jorgensen                   | Blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah.
= Citadel Investment Group, Inc.      | Blah blah blah blah, blah blah.
= jbj1@wfg.com                        |
= jbj1@uchicago.edu                   |