Re: INN/CNEWS package?

Olaf Erb writes:

>I just browsed through the archive, but can't find anything about a
>news package for debian, but dependencies from other packages that
>mention cnews|inn.
>Somewhere I found inn-1.4sec-7.deb, it isn't included anymore..
>
>Was INN removed because of copyright reasons?

INN was removed from general view because the Debianised version was
too buggy; the maintainer didn't have time to work on it in among
other Debian and non-Debian stuff.

I'm not aware of anyone having volunteered to take it over.  I've a
little experience with INN but currently don't have the time either.

If you just want to read news, rather than run a local spool, you
don't want INN or C-News but just a newsreader such as trn and a copy
of inews.  The inewsinn package is still visible.  It may be that some
of the dependencies are buggy, of course...

--
Richard Kettlewell richard@uk.geeks.org http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/